SMALL CRAFT SQADRONS
Fighters (Fury Interceptors):
Can fly CVP to protect the ship from enemy small-craft and torpedoes, escort bombers to protect them from enemy fighters, or fly out to engage enemy small craft. 20 per squadron.
Bombers (Starhawk Bombers):
Attack enemy ships. 10 per squadron.
Assault Boats (Shark Assault Boats):
Used to carry troops to enemy ships for hit-and-run operations. 8 per squadron.
Support Craft (lighters, shuttles and heavy lifters):
Used to relay personnel and material between the ship and other locations. A support craft squadron provides 25 achievement points towards a Trade objective which they can support. A support craft squadron contains up to 32 space worth of support craft, as detailed later (see Other Small Craft).
Most models can fight void combat if necessary, but they are designed primarily for atmospheric deployment. Can fight enemy small craft or support ground operations. 40 per squadron.
The Lightning Strike is a ground attack variant of the fighter that replaces the air-to-air armament with ground attack weapons.
Thunderbolts are heavy fighters that are formed into squadrons of 30. Slower and less agile than Lightnings, they do have superior ground-attack capabilities.
Bombers (Marauders): As with Lightnings, they can fight void combat if necessary, but they typically lack the firepower to have a dramatic impact on larger ships. Used mainly for strategic bombing and close air support. 20 per squadron.
Ground Assault (Valkyrie and Vulture). Ground assault squadrons are formed from a a combination of Vulture gunships and Valkyrie transports. A typical mix is 16 Valkyries and 4 Vultures, or — if the wing is designed purely for combat support and not troop transport — 20 Vultures.
Any aeronautica squadron can provide 25 achievement points towards ground-based Military objectives. They are all capable of launching from orbital platforms and carriers.
OTHER SMALL CRAFT
For each five points of hull integrity (round up) a ship can hold four spaces of small craft, in addition to any squadrons. Each cargo hold and the barracks component provide another 16 space for small craft. These craft do not provide achievement point bonuses.
PCs will begin with two spaces worth of small craft for every five points of hull integrity, plus the 16 spaces provided by each cargo hold and barracks component. Players may select freely from the list below:
Single Space Small Craft
- Aquila Lander: The aquilla is a small, lightly-armed shuttle used primarily for VIP transport. Carrying capacity is 10 men/ 10 cu m/2t
- Arvus Lighter: The Arvus is a slightly larger, but unarmoured and less manoeuvrable shuttle. Carrying capacity is 12 men/24 cu m/6t.
Double Space Small Craft
- Vengeance Gun-cutter: The vengeance is a versatile, heavily armoured craft that can be used as a transport, ground support vehicle and even a dog-fighter if necessary. Carrying capacity is 30 men/60 cu m/12t. A VIP variant is available with luxurious quarters for 6.
- Halo Barge: The halo barge is an unarmed, bulk cargo hauler. Carrying capacity is 80 men/160 cu m/40t.
Four Space Small Craft
- Assault Barge: The assault barge is an armoured, lightly-armed shuttle designed to get large numbers of troops to the surface. Capacity 100 men/200 cu m/50t
- Transit Barge: The transit barge is a civilian bulk hauler. Capacity 200 men/400 cu m/100t.